Reviews

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Lewis Jenkins Lewis Jenkins 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Snoke
    David Snoke

Discussions about scientific articles as well as books that deal with science and / or Christian faith.

David Snoke
    David

One thing I think would be useful for people is simply a list of good books on science and faith. Here is my initial list:

cosmology/fine tuning:

The Anthropic Cosmological Principle, Barrow and Tipler

The Accidental Universe, P.C.W. Davies

The Privileged Planet, Gonzalez and Richards

General Science/Faith

Science and Faith, Collins

The Soul of Science, Pearcey and Thaxton

Evolution and Design

The Hidden Face of God, Schroeder

Signature in the Cell, Meyer

Evolution: A Theory in Crisis, Denton

No Free Lunch, Dembski

Darwin’s God, C.G. Hunter

Mind and Consciousness

Lost in the Cosmos, Walker Percy

Goedel, Escher, Bach, Hofstadter

Shadows of the Mind, Penrose

Brains, Machines, and Persons, Mackay

This is my first list of what I would call the first reading list a person should know. Some people might want to add books by Polkinghorne and Hugh Ross to the list. I haven’t included any on Bible interpretation or archeaology yet.

David C. Bossard
    David C. Bossard
    Participant

One book I like is David Berlinski, The Devil’s Delusion:Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions. — Challenger

Lewis Jenkins
    Lewis Jenkins
    Participant

Hello, everyone.
    I attended the CSS Annual Meeting this past April, 2015, and decided to become an associate member. I enjoyed every session and look forward to attending other CSS events whenever my schedule allows it.
    Surprisingly, every presenter dealt with topics I know at least something about. This would not be very remarkable except that every topic was also dealt with to some extent in a book I recently published called Diary of a Robot (available on Lulu.com). I brought seventeen books with me just on the off-chance that a mystery story (which includes AI, science, history, philosophy, politics, religion, and lots of British humor) might be of interest to meeting attendees. Surprisingly (again) every presenter except one took a book. The remaining books (but one) I gave away to attendees.
    It has been nearly a month since the conference, and I was hoping that at least one of the sixteen people could give me some feedback, especially given the Meeting’s topics of discussion, and the fact that I listed the chapters that had relevant science in them. (The story is about a heck of a lot more than science). For those of you who got a book:
    1) If you have read the book, please let me know what you think.
    2) If you started the book but stopped, will you resume?
    3) If you stopped but won’t resume, at what page did you stop and why.
    4) If you have not read the book, please do so and go to Step 1.
    5) If you will not read it, donate $25 to CSS (wink).
    Please feel free to reply here in this Review topic. Or send me an email directly (jenkins@gwis.com) putting CSS or DOAR in the subject line.

Thanks,
    LEJ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.